Places to visit on the Trail of Saints
Church of St. Nicander
Venafro (XIII century)
The church was built in the 13th century at the place where a sarcophagus was found containing the remains of St. Nicander, that is now housed in the crypt; the waters gushing from a nearby spring are known as the Manna of St. Nicander and are considered by believers to have miraculous qualities.
Hermitage of St. Cosmas and St. Damian
Isernia (prior to the XII century)
Rising up on the ruins of a pagan temple dedicated to Priapus, the hermitage was in existence before 1130. Subsequently it was dedicated to the patron saints of medicine, Cosmas and Damian, whose fame as healers of the sick was spread through the population as a cult.
Church of St. Emidius
Agnone (XIII century)
A Benedictine oratory until the thirteenth century, the church was dedicated to St. Emidius by the master wool craftsmen who had arrived in Agnone from Ascoli Piceno, so that he might protect them from earthquakes; their symbol, the mystic Lamb, is in the thirteenth century portal.
Cathedral of Saints Nazarius, Celsus and Victor
Trivento (XI century)
Rising up on the ruins of an ancient temple of Diana and originally consecrated to the cult of St. Castus (who is probably buried in the crypt), in 1076 the cathedral was dedicated to St. Nazarius and St. Celsus, as commemorated by a stone laid in the church.
Cathedral of St. Bassus
Termoli (XII - XIII century)
Built between the twelfth and thirteenth centuries, on the site of the ancient ecclesia Sancte Mari, the crypt houses a sarcophagus containing the remains of St. Bassus, which, according to legend, was discovered by a group of fishermen. The cathedral is a national monument.
Cathedral of St. Pardus
Larino (XIII century)
Constructed in the thirteenth century, the cathedral houses the remains of St. Pardus (who died and was buried in Lucera). He was adopted by the people of Larino as their patron saint in 842; the event is celebrated with an ancient festival in May. The cathedral is a national monument.
Church of St. George
Campobasso (X - XI centuries)
Built on the remains of a temple to Hercules, between the tenth and eleventh centuries, the church was dedicated to St. George, who, during the battles between Campobasso and its neighbouring cities, was said to have appeared at the front of an army, putting the enemy to flight.
Church of St. Bartholomew
Bojano (XI century)
A document from 1073 called Regesti Gallucci records the construction of the church in the eleventh century, the work of a Norman family called the de Moulins (de Molisio). It was destroyed by earthquakes in 1117, 1456 and 1805, but was always rebuilt.
Church of Saint Christina
Sepino (XI century)
The church was dedicated to St. Christina in 1099 and housed her remains, which were brought to Sepino by two French pilgrims and subsequently transferred to Palermo by Guglielmo I d'Altavilla, who left some bones from her right arm there.