Stages of the trail of the Saints
Sanctuary of the Virgin of the Miracles
Casalbordino (19th century)
In 1824 this simple chapel was replaced with a church built on a Greek-cross plan, which was seriously damaged during the bombardments of World War Two; the current sanctuary was built on the Latin-cross plan by the Benedictines, between 1956-62.
Sanctuary of the Miracle of the Eucharist
Lanciano (13th century)
The building was constructed in 1258 on the site of an ancient church dedicated to St. Legonziano (or Longino) by the Friars Minor Conventual and has a single nave plan; in the 1700s the style of the interior was changed from Romanesque-Gothic to Baroque.
Ortona (12th century)
The original building was constructed in the 6th century on the ruins of a pagan temple, which had been dedicated to Janus and destroyed by Gaufredo the Norman. It was rebuilt in 1127 and dedicated to the Virgin Mary; from 1285 it was dedicated to Thomas the Apostle. The church is built on a reversed Latin-cross plan with a polygonal apse.
Sanctuary of St. Camillus de Lellis
Bucchianico (17th century.)
The building, one of the first built in a Baroque style in the Abruzzo region, was constructed in 1648 on a single nave plan by Camillus himself and dedicated to St. Charles Borromeo and the Holy Cross; in 1746, after the canonisation of the Saint, the sanctuary assumed its current denomination.
Church of the Holy Face
Manoppello (17th century)
The Capuchin building, constructed between 1617 and 1638 on a plan with three naves, houses a veil with the acheropita image of the face of Jesus, in the tabernacle of the main altar.
Basilica of St. John
Capestrano (15th – 19th centuries)
Construction of the monastery began in 1447 on the orders of the Saint himself; in 1456 a library was added. In the 18th century, the complex was extended further when the cloister was built and the final wing was added in 1853.
Basilica of St. Mary of Collemaggio
L’Aquila (13th century)
Over the years, parts of the basilica have been rebuilt after collapsing during some of the many earthquakes that affect the area, and it is now a mixture of Romanesque, Gothic and Baroque styles. The structure, with its three naves and octagonal pillars, was built in 1287 on the orders of Pope Celestine V. The magnificent rectangular facade is clad in red and white stone, with three portals and three rose windows.
Sanctuary of the Madonna of Pietraquaria
Avezzano (12th century)
The small town is dominated by Mount Salviano, where, at 1000 metres, stands the Sanctuary of the Madonna of Pietraquaria. Built in 1614 and reconstructed in 1881 together with the convent, it houses a Byzantine image of the Virgin, dating back to the 12th or 13th centuries.
Sanctuary of St. Gabriel
Isola del Gran Sasso d’Italia (18th century)
In 1215, at the edge of the National Park of the Gran Sasso, in Isola del Gran Sasso d’Italia, St. Francis of Assisi built a monastery, which was subsequently rebuilt in 1770; in 1847 it passed into the hands of the Passionist Fathers, and was reconstructed by them in 1934. In 1970 work began on building the modern church.
Campli (18th century)
The penitential trail, decorated with paintings of the Passion and the Resurrection, is made up of 28 oak steps which pilgrims climb on their knees as a sign of penitence, looking for plenary indulgence, as set down in the contents of a Papa bull issued by Pope Clement XIV in 1772.